The Significance of 7
In case you never realized, the past few posts were themed for Shavuos, based around Dovid and Rus. There were 7 weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. What other sevens were there?
What does SEVEN mean to you?
- The 7 species of Israel –Wheat, Barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, dates
- 7 Prophetesses –Sara, Miriam, Chana, Devorah, Chana, Avigayil, Chuldah and Esther
- The 7 Mitzvos Bnei Noach (the Seven Noahide Laws)
- 7 Mitzvos D’Rabbonan – Hallel, megillas esther, lighting Chanukah candles, lighting Shabbos candles, washing hands before eating, Brochas and Eruvin –Chatzrosm Tachumin and Tavshilin.
- 7 blessing said under the Chuppah
- 7 Ushpizin on Sukkos – Avraham, Yitzchak, Yaakov, Moshe, Yoseph, Aharon and Dovid
- 7 days of the week
- 7 people called up to the Torah.
- 7 Shabbosim of comfort between Tisha B’av and Rosh Hashona where the Haphtarah is from Yishayahu.
- 7 Nations in the land of Canaan – Canaani, Amori, Chitim Chivi, Prizi, YeVusi and Girgoshi,
- The first verse in the Torah contains 7 words and 28 letters (divisible by 7)
- There are 7 weeks between Pesach and Shavuos, and 49 days until we get the Torah (a multiple of 7).
- At the commencement of the Yom Kippur Prayers, we say Hashem hu HaElokim 7 times.
- There are 7 years in a Shemittah cycle
- There are 7 Shemittahs in a Yovel Cycle
- Yehoshua circles the walls of Yericho 7 times before they fell.
- Thinking of sailing the seven seas? The world has 7 seas.
- There are 7 Hafkofas on Simchas Torah
- Moshe was the 7th generation after Avraham
- Yisro had 7 names and 7 daughters
- The smallest measurement of a sukkah is 7X 7
- There were 7 branches on the Menorah
- Achashveirosh had a party for 7 days
- On Sukkos we shake 7 things we shake on sukkas: 2 haddasim, 3 Arovos, 1 lulav and an esrog,
- Each plague in Egypt lasted 7 days.
- Are you in seventh Heaven? -There are 7 levels in Heaven
- The 7 weeks in the omer correspond to the 7 Godly character traits
- DID YOU KNOW!: If a mother has 7 consecutive boys or 7 consecutive girls, it is said that she is guaranteed a portion in Olom Haba. My mom had 6 consecutive boys… and then my sister was born! I have another friend whose mother had six consecutive girls and then a boy. That boy was the 3rd male born into the family line in the past century!
- In Kabbalah, the 7th dimension of the world represents holiness and completion.
Next Week’s Question: From where in Tanach, do we learn to knock on doors before entry?