1. Start by taking a section from the top of the head. Separate this section into 3 strands crossing right over middle and then left over middle, as if you were doing a Basic Braid.
2. Switch all of the strands over to your left hand and keep strands separated.
3. You can now gather a small even section from the right side of the head with your right hand and add it to the right strand.
4. Bring the strand you have just added to, over to the middle and bring the middle strand to the right.
5. Now switch hands keeping all strands separate, so your left hand will be free.
6. Gather a section of hair from the left side of the head. Add this to the left strand.
7. You will now bring the left strand over to the middle and bring the middle section to the left. As you follow these steps, try to keep your hands close to the head so the braid will be tight.
8. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until there is no hair available to add. Finish style with a Basic Braid and fasten with an elastic.
Credits to http://2good2lose.com/braid-french.shtml