I can’t believe it’s the last week of vacation already! It’s crazy how the summer flies by… Wasn’t it just the first week of summer? I baked a lot this summer. I find the kitchen to be tons of fun. The only downside? You EAT what you bake. So if you’re gonna put a bunch of rubbish and marg. in your cake, you’re gonna eat it too. The solution? Bake healthy. Eat healthy. Be healthy.:)
A common misconception is that healthy food tastes healthy… not necessarily. The #1 place to substitute all the white flour for whole wheat is brownies. The chocolate totally overrides the taste of the whole wheat flour. Here’s my favorite:
Adapted from the Spice and Spirit cookbook (AKA The Purple Cookbook).
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup 2 tsp cocoa
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp (hazelnut) coffee — optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease 11 x 14-inch baking pan
- In a large mixer bowl, cream oil and sugar well. Beat in eggs and then extracts. Add dry ingredients separately, then chocolate, coffee, mini chips and nuts. Mix the liquid and dry ingredients together well.
- Spread in pan and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Cool in pan. Cut in squares. Serve.
Try it. It’s not bad. Even YUMMY!:D As healthy as it may be, don’t go overboard. Remember: Portion control is the key. Oh well, maybe I’ll have another recipe for you next time. As my former French teacher says “The Kitchen is my personal lab.” Try, try, try again ( e.g. substitute marg or crisco for canola oil or use 1/2 white & 1/2 whole wheat flour instead of all white… You get the picture….) and you’ll get the healthy version of everything and anything.:)